07 May, 2018

A Journey

It's been awhile since I've written anything here, so I thought I'd catch you up.
Spring is finally here and with it the outside jobs. Whether is cleaning the yard up from the long Winter or it's checking to see if the house needs repairs the list is already building.
One thing that I am wanting to do this Summer is to cycle. When I was young it was just called bicycling, but now there is a new term. Cycling. I have been trying to build up strength and stamina so in August I can go on a big journey. I plan on riding from the gates to Canada to Iowa completely through my home state of Minnesota on my bicycle. As I have gotten into the planning and the working out of my legs and heart I have realized just how daunting a task I have set for myself. Which paths to take, what happens if something breaks, what happens if I break, traffic, hotels or camping and that's just the stuff at the top of my head. It's a bit overwhelming, to say the least; however, as with most things I take on you can be certain I will make a bigger deal out of it than it is. All it comes down to really is riding my bicycle. That's it. Just get on and ride and keep riding.
     The most I've gone in my training so far is 14 miles in an hour and I did a little GoPro video of it. That's linked below. I'm hoping to finish the whole thing in seven and a half days. I have those days off of work and will just go right back to work the day after I finish. I will also be taking a lot of video of the whole thing, and have been doing smallish workout journal videos since January when I started training for this project.
Perhaps I should define my version of training. If you are like me than the word itself conjures up images of a drill Sargent person yelling at you that you ain't worth the carbon base which makes you up. That's not going to happen for me. Training for me is just getting on my bike and riding. I try and choose hardish rides and don't coast. I always keep my legs going, and go hard till I can't anymore then I go a little easier on myself for a little while. It's been working pretty well because my legs are getting huge and weird looking.
Well, here is that video sped up and with music for your enjoyment.

No comments: