26 December, 2010

Snow Bound


Snow Bound
T.A.Marty

“It’s happened again. I mean I can understand this happening once. Everybody’s entitled to screw up once, but to do the same thing again and again. I mean what is this the 3rd time so far this Winter?”, Granola Gram was exasperated. Her partner Carrot Caryn was just as exasperated but was trying to put on a good face.
“No it’s the 2nd that other one in the super market doesn’t count cause we were looking for the illusive sock bird." They had been a couple for about as many years as the planet’s been circling around the sun. For you and me that’d be around 30 years. Every year they migrated to warmer climates when Winter came. Caryn loves Winter. Gram does not.
“Snow bound. We’re stuck in this crap again. I want to get out.” said Gram. The door to the Post Office banged closed as they stepped out into the cold. Cars were creeping by trying not to slip, people were trudging here and there. Everyone looked the same like big globes of coats, and hat's, boot's, and mitten's. There was no shape to anyone big or small everyone is equally round in Winter.

“We can go for a walk in it. It’s not that big a deal.”, said Caryn

“You know what I mean Caryn. I don’t like feeling trapped with in a 4 mile radius. I don’t like the smell of the snow coming down and further I can’t stand that pure innocent white on the tree’s any more. Blecky! To hell with it! I want the beach. I don’t like slipping tires, and sore shoveling muscles. I want a beer in my hand and my big belly hanging out of the way to small bikini I’d be wearing!” shouted an exasperated Gram as she threw up her hands in disgust at the whole thing.

Caryn being the worlds most optimistic woman countered her partner and said,
“Being snow bound is fun sweet lady. I mean there’s me and you a lot of wood for the fire, books, movies, smooches.” It was the last word that had Gram. She loved smooches, and movies but smooches were definitely better than movies. "Here's something I wrote about it this morning. Let me read it to you as we walk."

She began.

The world ended much as it has since you went to bed any other night, but on this one night it was different very different and ya didn’t even notice! You went to bed, and it was cold and gray and the leaves were all gone from the tree’s. You went to bed and so did the plump fat little squirrels. While everything was sleeping and everyone had there eye’s closed and were dreaming, it happened. That magical fluffy snowman making, fort making, snowball throwing white stuff came down, and boy did it ever.
Tons of it all over the place.
Snow!
So much of it in fact when you wake up you won’t have to go to school, your pa’s going to have to call in and so will your ma. No ones making it outside because the snow’s up past the door and everyone’s going to have to make tunnels.
Okay, probably not that much snow, but a fair amount of it did fall. You’ll still have to go to school, and no one’s staying home but the mice and the cat.
Snow
magical white rain
cold killing innocence
finger numbing, snow shoe making,
skiing, snow man making, white stuff everywhere
as far as the eye can see.

The first snow is wonderful in most every way possible, because the whole world goes from being gray, dry, and dead to being bright shiny white. It’s a crazy transition. Suddenly there’s more light than there was the day before. It’s bouncing all around, and people are in better moods. (A little)

She finished. Gram grabbed her mittened hand and they walked into the snow. Two globes of coats without a goal just plodded on.

No comments: