22 May, 2017

I'm a Shavee

    For the past three years I have participated in an event designed to help gather funds for researching cures to childhood cancers. I am a ‘Shavee’. I can hear you saying, “Well that’s all fine and dandy but what the heck is that?” I’m so glad you asked.
First of all let’s start with what St Baldricks is. Here's a LINK.

    St Baldricks has been around for seventeen years and has become the largest private funder for researching cures to kids cancer in the nation. It's also the organization I shave my head for.
Here’s how it works, and I encourage you to visit their website. It has a lot of great information on it, so don’t just take my work for it.  In the last seventeen years four hundred thousand volunteers have done this and the results are very real. Real change happens as a result of these acts. The St Baldricks organization has given two hundred million dollars to cancer research. 

     In case you’re wondering what the number one killer of children in the U.S. is it’s cancer. According to their press release 1 out of 5 children with cancer won’t survive and a good number of the ones who do have major after effects for the rest of their lives.

They have many different grant types and grants going on at any given moment. Scientists looking for treatments as unique as the person receiving the treatment.

Here’s a photo of us bald and beautiful and here’s a link to my page which you can still donate too.

After St Baldricks 2017

I don’t get any of the money. They don’t give me anything but a bald head and a smile.
If you’re curious about where all the money that gets donated goes to here’s what I found on their press release
71% goes to funding
26% goes to the events
And
3% is administration.

Here is a link to my own page there. I just want to say again that I’m not seeing any of this money. It’s going straight to the St. Baldricks organization.

Thanks again for considering, and if you feel moved why not sign up for an event or start one.

See you next week when we chat about the bed in the van.

No comments: