27 March, 2017

BEWARE THE FOG


     The salesman fog. It's like a spell they cast on you when you are vulnerable. I don't mean vulnerable like you've gained a little Winter weight and seen yourself in the window, or an old school bully called you that thing he always did and gave you a momentary PTSD type flashback. Nope, I mean the kind of vulnerable where you're driving with your life partner just trying to stay out of the house and not realizing how open to change you really are. They can smell that sort of thing like blood in the water, but in this case it's money.

     This is the sort of happy go lucky day that my wife and I experienced about a month ago. It was another in the long line of cold Winter days and we were trying to stay out of the house to keep our spirits up. While driving around we found ourselves at a car lot. 

The little red light came on in my head, and I heard my voice telling me to beware.

     Now before I go any further let me explain something. When I use the words, 'Kung fu' I don't mean it in a beating up bad guys sense. No, I mean it in a more general sense. You could use any term you want. How about ‘The Force’, or Witchery, maybe Mental Acuity’? All that matters is that when we were visiting that car lot there was a master in residence and it wasn't me.  A salesman with such power that he was able to take proud and self-proclaimed 'Cheap Skate' and turn him into a blithering idiot. He came out and started chatting with me. Now normally when they do this I pull out the trusty old “grumpy face” and give it to them. They leave us alone and we can go about our business, but like I said we were in a vulnerable spot. A place in ourselves that was ready for change...or something. I just kept chatting. 

The little red light amped up and an alarm sounded in my head, but his witchery was stronger then my alarm bells and I listened to the siren's call. 

     Yup by now I’m sure you’ve guessed it. That was the day we abandoned reason (not to mention our old beater of a car which we still feel bad about) and purchased a new one. It’s a 2012 Toyota Prius V. The 'V' isn't for five as I thought but for versatile. It’s suppose to mean it has more space. They call it the station wagon of the Prius line.
Here’s a picture of our faces. I know we look happy here but really we’re just hypnotized.

Don't let the smile fool you. We were under a spell.

     The Prius has a computer that would make Star Treks USS Voyager NCC-74656  jealous. It monitors the miles per gallon that you are getting and updates itself every five minutes. I bet even seven of nine couldn't do that. Thus far it says we are getting around forty, but I’m testing it. We gassed up and zeroed the odometer, so far we’ve gotten over a hundred miles and it’s not quite at a quarter of a tank used yet. I guess that’s pretty good, but I’m stubbornly holding onto my grumpiness about buying it because I feel like it. Grrr.

It does have a sexy profile though doesn't it?
Not much for clearance though.
Those two indents are how you lock the silly thing.

     The video will show you a few other of the things that are sort of neat about it. I do have to say though that it’s got a nice stereo, and it does fit all of my music gear with room to spare. 
Have a great day friends and don't go into car lots.

No comments: