24 November, 2010

The Heart

11/24/10
Kitchen

I thought that I’d write about the kitchen today. They say it’s the heart of the house, and I like that. I like it because that’s just it for me. Sometimes it’s dirty other times it’s not, but it always is the heart. In the Winter it’s a glorious warm place to hang out in and watch the birds at the feeder. In the Spring, Summer, and Fall it’s more of a passing through on the way somewhere kinda place.

Beautiful, and full of sound. Most of the time it’s just me and my sweetie, but sometimes there’s a bunch of folks in it like on Holidays.
What’s the smell of the kitchen? Depends on a bunch of stuff. For instance....if it’s morning then it smells of coffee and breakfast. (Insert favorite breakfast here.) If its lunch than it’s filled with natural light and the sounds of people coming and going and the smell is difficult to nail down. While we’re discussing the sound and smell of the kitchen what about that traditional fresh baked bread or cookies kinda smell. Hey we haven’t even discussed when ya forget to take the compost bucket out from under the sink. Hey what do you want? It’s a kitchen smell.
How about the way it makes you feel.
How do you feel when you walk into your kitchen? I feel at home. I’ve just come home. Once I had a dream that Jerry Garcia came and was showing me some fancy guitar playing in my kitchen. It was just after he’d switched worlds and I’d just picked up the drums and only dreamed about guitar’s. So when I walk into my kitchen whether it smells good or bad whether it’s a little dirty or spic'n'span I have to say I feel save, and filled with gratitude.

1 comment:

Don Shetterly - Relaxing Piano Music said...

Our kitchen is a place we really have together time. I am mainly the one that cooks but now Jeff helps me more and so I enjoy just spending those times together creating food.